- International Diabetes Federation Europe. Storage of insulin. Available from https://idf.org/images/IDF_Europe/Storage_of_Insulin_-_IDF_Europe_Awareness_Paper_-_FINAL.pdf. Last accessed: January 2022.
- EMA. NovoRapid FlexPen package leaflet: information for the user. Available from: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.7920.pdf. Last accessed: January 2022.
- EMA. Fiasp FlexTouch package leaflet: information for the patient. Available from: https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/files/pil.2447.pdf. Last accessed: January 2022.
- Novo Nordisk. Novo Pen Echo Instructions for Use. Available from: https://www.novonordisk.com/content/dam/nncorp/global/en/our-products/pdf/instructions-for-use/novopen-echo/NovoPenEcho-UK.pdf. Last accessed: January 2022.
- Novo Nordisk. Novo Pen 6 Instructions for Use. Available from: https://www.novonordisk.com/content/dam/nncorp/global/en/our-products/pdf/instructions-for-use/novopen-6/Novopen6-UK.pdf. Last accessed: January 2022.
- Novo Nordisk. Novo Pen 5 Instructions for use. Available from: https://www.novonordisk.com/content/dam/nncorp/global/en/our-products/pdf/instructions-for-use/novopen-5/NovoPen5-UK.pdf. Last accessed: January 2022.
Injections & pens | 3 min. read
Caring for your insulin pen
Tips on how to care for your disposable pen
Storing your disposable insulin pen
- Unopened, you can store your disposable pen at room temperature (not above 30°C) for a maximum of 4 weeks or in a fridge (2°C to 8°C) until the expiry date, but keep it away from the freezing element
Once open, your disposable pen will last for a maximum of 4
weeks, whether at room temperature (not above 30°C) or in a fridge
(2°C to 8°C)
- Don’t leave the pen in a car or any other place where it could get too hot or too cold
- Always keep the cap on the pen to protect the medicine inside from light (opened or unopened)
- Read our instructions for travelling
Handling your disposable insulin pen
- Treat your disposable pen with care. Rough handling or misuse could cause inaccurate dosing
- Don’t drop your disposable pen against hard surfaces. If you drop it or suspect a problem, carefully inspect for damage, attach a new needle and check the insulin flow before you inject
- Don’t try to refill your disposable pen. Once empty, throw the used pen in a bin or follow your local waste instructions (your package insert will have more information)
- If your disposable pen is faulty, please don’t try to repair it or pull it apart. Throw it in a bin or follow your local waste instructions and open a new pen
Cleaning your disposable insulin pen
- Try not to expose your disposable pen to dust, dirt or liquid
- Don’t try to pull your disposable pen apart to clean it
- If necessary, clean your disposable pen with a damp cloth, but don’t wash, soak or lubricate it
Tips on how to care for your durable (reusable) pen
Storing and handling your durable (reusable) pen
- Your durable pen is tough, but it can still be damaged. Handle it with care and protect it against dust and dirt when it is not in its case
- Avoid situations where your durable pen can be damaged and keep it in the case whenever possible. You can also store spare Penfill® cartridges and NovoFine® needles in the case
- Check the leaflet in the Penfill® pack for details on how to store the cartridges and how long to keep them
Cleaning your durable (reusable) pen
- Your durable pen does not require any maintenance except
- Dirt and dust can be removed by using a soft, dry brush
- Clean your durable pen by wiping it with a cloth moistened with a mild detergent
- Don’t clean your durable pen with any solution containing alcohol, iodine (or similar) or detergent containing chlorine
- Don’t submerge your durable pen in water as this may damage its mechanical system
- Your durable pen must only be used in the way described in its instruction manual
- Please contact your healthcare professional if you experience problems with your durable pen. All faulty pens will be inspected by Novo Nordisk to ensure high quality standards are maintained
- Never try to repair a faulty durable pen yourself